Q: Three things you want folks to know about you.
- I am a native of Fredericksburg, VA, and moved to Richmond in 2000 to pursue my undergraduate studies at VCU – GO RAMS!
- I have a deep love and appreciation for oldies jazz, R&B, and soul — my son and I spend many evenings in the kitchen dancing and singing.
- I love the Outer Banks and spend many summer weekends at my father-in-law’s beach house!
Q: Three things you want folks to know about your work.
- The County of Henrico’s Volunteer Program has been in existence for thirty years! The program began in 1984 with ten County agencies and has grown tremendously over the years. Today, we have volunteers serving in over 30 agencies throughout the County.
- The County of Henrico has a wide variety of volunteer opportunities which range from office assistants, social media assistants, job coaches, mentors and many more. One of our most unique volunteer opportunities is the Health Department’s WIC Program Assistant. Volunteers who serve in this role provide lactation consultation to new mothers to raise awareness about the importance of breast-feeding.
- In 2013, an average of 756 people volunteered each month for the County of Henrico, contributing over 186,731 hours to the County. This volunteer time represents over four million dollars in savings to the County.
Q: Why do you love the profession of volunteer administration?
I love hearing the stories of why volunteers choose to serve in the County, especially volunteers who have been impacted by County employees as a result of volunteering with us. My most memorable story is from a Police Chaplain who has been volunteering with the County’s Division of Police for over sixteen years. During a March board meeting, he expressed to the County’s Board of Supervisors that volunteering with the Division of Police has brought him great joy. He also stated that he has received more from the agency than he has given to them. I am very proud of our Division of Police and the work that they are doing to continuously impact and engage our volunteers!
Q: What do you love about GRAVA?
I’m new to the profession so I’m hoping to network with other members to learn more about their involvement with volunteers. I also hope to gain some valuable insights from others about how I can effectively manage a volunteer program, which is centered around volunteer engagement. I’m especially excited about connecting with others through GRAVA’s Volunteer Engagement Message Board!
Q: Any other exciting news or information you would like to share?
Please spread the word about the County of Henrico’s Volunteer Program! To find out how to volunteer with the County, please visit the County’s Volunteer Program website at: www.co.henrico.va.us/hr/edt/volunteer/.