Cynthia Vereen, Volunteer Coordinator, Hospice Community Care
- I am passionate about my faith and family.
- I love working in hospice.
- I am from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania and it’s football season. “Here we go Steelers, here we go!!!!”
Q: Three things you want folks to know about your work.
- Unfortunately, there are a lot of misconceptions about hospice. I want to help people in the community to understand that hospice doesn’t kill people who are sick. Rather, hospice is about making the terminally-ill patient comfortable, allowing them to die as free from as much physical, spiritual and emotional pain as possible.
- I really enjoy training new volunteers and watching their excitement build as they begin their journey as “a companion on the way” with their terminally ill patient.
- I am passionate about team building and the best way(s) our team of volunteers can serve our patients and the best ways our organization can serve our volunteers.
Q: Why do you love the profession of volunteer administration?
I enjoy volunteer administration because I have done volunteer work in the past and I think I may have some insight as to why people volunteer. Volunteers do what they do because they want to be a part of something bigger than themselves. Volunteers want to contribute to something that will make a difference in their community and in their world. Volunteers aren’t looking for applause, but it is important to recognize them just the same. Volunteers need to know that what they do matters; what they do changes their community and their world.
Q: What are most looking forward to with GRAVA?
I have joined GRAVA because I want to become an outstanding volunteer administrator. I believe the more you know about a subject, the more you realize what you don’t know. I want to learn from other professionals how to be much better at what I do.
Q: Any other exciting news or information you would like to share?
I got married this past May and my new husband Kevin and I couldn’t be happier!